Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Good Simple Fast Food



Lately, I just want to come home and eat simple food. I don't want a recipe, or anything remotely sultry or sexy to eat, I just want the basics: brown rice & vegetables. So, here are a few simple tricks that I use when I'm tired but I know that I need real food.

Vata Churna is one of my favorite spice blends. A churna is basically any ground mixture of spices. Vata churna in particular is good for people of Vata constitution but is also good to eat during the vata (cold, dry, windy, rough) times of the year to help keep us in balance. When we are feeling cold, not getting enough rest, feeling high anxiety, stiffness in the body or exhaustion in the mind vata churna may be a good addition to the diet. There are as many different recipes for churnas and masalas as there are mothers in India, but this is a good one: Cinnamon, Ginger, Asofoteida, Ajwan, Fennel, Lemon Peel, Bay Leaf, Cardamon, Cumin, Turmeric, Clove and Sea Salt. This Churna helps balance excess Vata. Use it to increase your digestive fire and promote a healthy digestion. Once your Vata Dosha is in balance again, start using your predominant Dosha churna. You can buy another variety at the Maharishi Ayurveda Online Store.

I like to pan-fry some extra-firm tofu with coconut oil and vata churna. It's quick, simple, and makes me feel contented in the most wholesome way. You can also just sprinkle it over food you have already cooked.

Another idea for Ayurvedic fast food comes from AyurFoods who has assembled easy-to-make packages of two staples of Indian cuisine: Khichadi and Upama. Since they are Ayurvedically balanced with all of the six tastes, they are both nutritious and satisfying. With some sautéed vegetables, cilantro, or coconut chutney you could even serve them to health-conscious company.

Macrobiotic proponents often season food with a mixture of toasted ground sesame and sea salt called Gomasio. I enjoy the potent flavor and rich nuttiness it lends to anything you put it on. An instant meal-makeover.

Finally I want to mention Udo's Choice Wholesome Fast Food Powder. It's not a seasoning exactly, but when you are looking to get a lot of nutrition in a short period of time without added sugar or empty calories this is really great stuff. "A tasty blend of natural source fibres with added nutrients to cleanse the entire digestive tract, improve the absorption of nutrients and aid the removal of cholesterol and toxins resulting in improved over-all colon health." It's easy to sprinkle a tablespoon into a smoothie, or mix it with brown rice and wrap in a sheet of nori for an afternoon snack.

Here's to simple pleasures!

No comments: