Friday, April 20, 2007

The Sensualist's Diet



When the average American woman thinks about being 'more disciplined' it is generally with the blandest of tastes in her mouth. Fat-free, carb-free, sugar-free, taste-free diets are the cure du jour for our bipolar indulgences. Most of us have yet to develop a truly sustainable and healthy relationship to food. While we long for more romance in our lives, we don't realize that romance itself requires a well-balanced outlook. We know that eating an entire box of chocolate does not make anyone feel sexy- yet we feed our addictions and fuel our whims while trying to burn off our sins with hours of fruitless and irregular workouts. It's enough to make anyone a little crazy, overweight, confused, and ultimately dejected.

French women on the other hand, stereotypically embody romantic living as easily as they breathe while exuding self-discipline. And if we had to pinpoint the axis upon which this indulgent, lithe, mysterious woman exists...what would we find? Perhaps a sense of equilibrium in the truest sense, an enjoyment and absorption in each moment as beyond ordinary... After reading French Women Don't Get Fat by Mireille Guillano I am convinced that her description of "living like a French woman" means living from a higher state of consciousness by filling our lives with freshness, delight, and more than a little self-romancing.

This is essentially what Ayurvedic living is all about.

When we are fully absorbed in experience even the smallest things bring us satisfaction. Bringing romance into our lives really reads as living more sensually (with all of our senses) and more fully. Just as we feel romanced by the complete attention of a lover, our lives can become filled with that same ecstasy when we give them the same attention. When the bulk of our actions become conscious and connected to our true and deepest desires (as opposed to the less healthy desires born of old habits & stress), every day can be filled with cosmic champagne and roses.

One of my favorite indulgences is great croissant and now that I live in the city again I've found some of the best pastry that I've ever had. I don't deny myself the pleasure! (Though I certainly won't eat a mediocre croissant...) I do try and fill up on lots of fresh fruit and vegetables and whole grains as well... and I take my sweet time and enjoy every last bit of what I am tasting, because when rushed I know I won't feel satisfied, no matter how delicious it is! I also often chase all that white flour from my system with a triphala tonic before bed.

Since discovering raw cacao powder my relationship with chocolate has changed dramatically. I can now make my own raw vegan truffles at home with coconut butter, agave and cacao. Since agave is absorbed more slowly than sugar I never feel that peak and crash that eating a traditional truffle would give me. Learning more about raw cacao has also made me much more excited to eat it. With an ORAC antioxidant rating of 900+, raw cacao powder beats out acai (around 200) and blueberry (less than 100). It is mineral rich, energizing and tastes amazing. David Wolfe has even devoted an entire book to the magical powers of raw cacao: Naked Chocolate.

Some other ideas for balanced sensual living include:
-Check out Slow Food USA (and encourage more Veg-friendly SLOW events!)
-Get to know your local food sources by finding a farmer's market near you.
-Invite a friend over for an evening of cooking adventure and if you are so inclined pick up a bottle of Frey Vineyards Biodynamic Organic Wine. (You could also try my personal favorite Guerzoni Mosto D'Uva, a biodynamic reduced grape juice...
-Don't forget the flowers!

Enjoy!

2 comments:

aramscarum said...

I practice the ancient discipline of Su pah eat aa:
the art of eating an entire carton of ice cream with full awareness.

Anyone can savor a single spoonful of Coffee Heath Bar Crunch. But to eat a full container with total awareness- that is true enlightenment.

Lucy Goldwyn said...

:) that's amazing! you are enlightened aram, i would never argue differently...